Planning Your Excursion
School excursions are available daily throughout the NSW school term.
SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium school excursions provide out-of-the-classroom and curriculum aligned learning.
We've pulled together the below information to make an excursion to SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium easier than any other.
Before Your Visit
- Enjoy a FREE visit in order to plan your excursion and complete a risk assessment.
- Use the online booking form to book your excursion as soon as possible to ensure the dates you would like are still available. Please note, your booking is NOT confirmed until you have been contacted by a bookings agent.
- Bookings are essential and should be made at least two weeks in advance.
- Consider adding on the NEW interactive SEA & Discover Class or food & beverage options to help make the day run even smoother. More about the SEA & Discover Class.
- Payment is made in advance by school cheque or credit card. Students cannot pay individually and payment cannot be made on the day.
Prepare Study Materials
We have a range of study materials available for download on this website.
On The Day
- Bus - A bus drop off area is available behind the Aquarium on Wheat Road and bus parking is available nearby at the King Street Wharf coach layover.
- Train - If you are traveling with your students by train, the closest train stations are either Town Hall or Wynyard, both a short 10 minute walk to the aquarium.
- Car - SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium offers all guests cheap parking deals close to Darling Harbour. Just remember to validate your parking ticket at the front desk before you leave.
Arrival and entry
- Make sure you arrive prior to your scheduled visit time in order to make sure students get sufficient time to use the bathrooms.
- Bathrooms are available in the foyer of the aquarium.
- Your tickets can be picked up from the front desk and then students will be permitted to enter the attraction.
Recess and lunch
- There are a number of public areas located within Darling Harbour around the attraction that are suitable for large groups to sit down and have lunch.
Bookings and Enquiries
Contact our education call centre to make a school excursion booking on 1-800-199-657 or click here to email us.
You can also request a booking using our online excursion booking form.
School Excursions FAQ
There are currently two options teachers can choose to use when coming to an excursion to SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium. The options are: self-guided tour using our suggested worksheets or your own worksheets to guide the students around the aquarium. SEA LIFE Discovery class - this is a 45 minute workshop style class with your own education officer. This class is an additional cost to your entry ticket.
On average a self-guided school excursion takes around 1.5 hours to see all areas in the attraction. This time can vary depending on how you plan your visit, which marine talks you want to see and if your students are completing worksheets.
We highly recommend when possible to break your large group into smaller groups of 10 with a leader and another teacher to help look after the group. This allows for spreading out your school so that not all the students are trying to see the same exhibit at the same time.
If you have divided your students into smaller groups there are several areas in the aquarium where we suggest you can all meet up as a whole group again. These spots are also good places to have morning tea and lunch breaks with your students. Dugong Island deck and Reef Theatre are great areas to regroup, take a break and mark the roll.
Our SEA LIFE Discovery classes are undertaken in our Dugong Conservation room on Dugong Island deck. On arrival to the aquarium your education officer will meet you at admissions desk and take your first group to this area. If you have more than one class group undertaking the SEA LIFE Discovery class at a different time they will meet the education officer at the Dugong Conservation room on Dugong Island.
Yes, due to limited space in the Dugong Conservation room we have a maximum class size of 30 students.
These classes run for approx. 45min in total. The session times that you can book for these classes are 10am, 11am and 12pm each day.
Buses can drop off and pick up students from the bus bays behind the aquarium on Wheat Road, Darling Harbour. For all day parking buses can park for free at the King Street Wharf Coach layover parking which is found off Lime Street. Please note that buses cannot pick up and drop off from this location.
Yes, we encourage teachers to visit to help plan and prepare your risk assessment teachers can visit the aquarium for free and bring their family at a discounted entry price. This provides you with the opportunity to view the attraction and get familiar with the different exhibits, places to eat and what to see before you bring your students.